<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Dennis Ritchie just died.

The first big system I ever developed, CTAPS, was done in C and SQL on a MicroVAX III running Ultrix. We even had GKS to display maps and allow for very crude airspace deconfliction.

Anyway, having been working in FORTRAN 77 on a VAX 11/782 running VMS 4.7, it was such a pleasure to have utilities like sed, awk, make, grep, cut, vi, ctags, etc., along with the UNIX pipe-and-filter approach to attaching them. Working as I did on both MS/DOS and UNIX operating systems, I can't begin to tell you how many times I loaded a file into vi and issued the command ":1,$s/^M//g".

As for the C programming language itself, well, after FORTRAN it was like I had died and gone to heaven.

I seem to recall that Vernor Vinge has a couple of science fiction books set hundreds of years in the future that reference nano-computers that run, yes, UNIX. I believe it likely.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?