<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, June 14, 2009





I find it interesting that the Americans of WWII who went into entertainment went in as heroes (Audie Murphy), while the Brits (Spike Milligan) went in for comedy.

I think that's because Americans wage war well enough to allow for it, while Brits wage war well enough to allow for the other.

BTW, I first heard about Spike Milligan from my childhood friend William Rooney, a friend long lost. Most likely to alcoholism and drug addiction, from when last I saw him.

UPDATE: "How did you join the army?" "They wrote to me."


UPDATE: "He committed a cardinal error." "He coughed."


UPDATE: Our friends, the English.


UPDATE: Milligan on the Wogan show. I remember Terry Wogan once reading a listener letter which began "Please forgive the crayon. We're not allowed sharp objects in here...."


UPDATE: "Duirt mé leat go raibh mé breoite"


UPDATE: "Puckoon." Read "Puckoon."

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?