<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Yesterday evening I went to see Jonah Goldberg talk about his book at Oglethorpe University.

Jonah was a bit under the weather. As he explained himself, his is a desert people, and a cold really affects them. I got the impression that he completely lost his train of thought on a couple of occasions, but nonetheless it was a lively and funny talk, with an interesting Q&A session after. The French - via Rousseau - were appropriately lambasted, while the English - via Locke - received fulsome praise. All in all, it ran for an hour and forty five minutes.

In the talk he mostly gave a thumbnail sketch of the book. Having read the book, I think I recognized in his talk paragraphs directly from it. As an aside, when I bought the book I was expecting to have to take a deep dive into political theory. That's not this book. Instead, it's mostly just a straight account of actual history. It's actually a pretty easy read. Of course, as one questioner commented, your life is ruined afterwards, because of the way it makes you recognize the ordinary daily fascism of life in 21st century America.

Afterwards, I had him sign my copy of the book. As he was doing so, I first expressed my wish that his book would have him swimming in gold doubloons (him: "From your lips..."). I then remarked that leftists are deliberately ignorant of history because it makes their Sorelian myths easier to come by. He looked me straight in the eye and said "Exactly." I must say that I enjoyed that.

I wanted to suggest a trip up the road to Pub 71, but he was looking a little flushed and feverish, so I decided not to press him.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?