<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

William F. Buckley is dead. Sad day.

If memory serves, I remember seeing him first on "Firing Line". At the time, his was about the only non-leftist program on TV. I was impressed by the way he worked to understand the views of his various guests, even the ones that were whacko leftists. Courteous always, not confrontational. Contrast his show with anything on TV today, where the main point seems to be to do as much shouting as possible.

Here's an hysterical outtake from an interview he once gave, in part about a trip he'd taken across the Atlantic:
Interviewer: Did your wife come along?

Buckley: No, I’m afraid my wife prefers more pacific vacations.

Interviewer: I thought you sailed across the Atlantic?

Buckley: I meant in the sense of irenic.

Interviewer: We’ll be right back after this important message.
You can't write this stuff.

Sic transit, etc.

Comments:
In the late 70s as a child I'd watch Buckley on PBS (Firing Line) and I was awed by his use of the language (when my parents didn't notice I'd put on PBS news/commentary channel).

Much later from 91-97 I found refuge in the National Review in shared political beliefs. There are only 2 people I have ever considered to have significantly shaped my views politically and those are my grandfather and Bill Buckley. Neither were primary influences as I like to think of myself as an independent thinker from first principles but God knows both helped me understand humility and manners in so little as I do.

William Buckley, as you somewhat imply Patrick, was an oft lone and powerful mind helping many of us, e.g. Reagan and Thatcher and Rove and Gingrich, galvanize our thoughts against the onslaught of academic communism and American self hatred so that we could ultimately win the day.

For many years I've been troubled that a civil and ingenious dialogue has disappeared from our politic. Go to youtube and re-watch the Buckley-Chomsky and Buckley-Minogue episodes of Firing Line and you too may wonder if we haven't stepped backwards.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?