<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

So, President Bush has settled on a nominee to be an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court. Listening to Chuck Schumer last night, the worst thing I heard from him was that Mr. Roberts doesn't have much of a paper trail.

Reminds me of instructions to communist cadres, Hungary, 1956:

1. Don’t think.
2. If you think, don’t speak.
3. If you speak, don’t write.
4. If you write, don’t sign.
5. If you think, speak, write, and sign, don’t be surprised!

Watching the news about the nomination (CNN had the news about an hour ahead of the official announcement), I was struck by how young this guy is. I mean, he's only 50. If confirmed, he'll be a fixture on the court for the rest of my life. Damn! What awesome power! I mean, he could go cuckoo day one after his confirmation, and we'd have 20 or 30 years of nutball rulings to look forward to.

Anyway, from an Atlanta perspective, the news about CardSystems is much more immediately important.

Equifax has driven Atlanta to a leadership role in the credit business. I recent months, Atlanta companies have gotten some black eyes, to the point where the Senate is investigating ChoicePoint, and CardSystems may well go out of business. Nature abhors a vacuum, and others will grab what Atlanta's dropped.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?