<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, July 07, 2005

I'm sure you've already seen this.

After conversations with relatives in England (most in the London area), I've learned that the general response has been "What a bummer! We were so happy after getting the Olympics, and now this."

I think Tony Blair's response was about right: concern for the dead and maimed, promises of retribution.

It's initially hard to say who might have done this. I mean, there has been a claim of responsibility, but the IRA has a history (Canary Wharf, as an example) of setting off bombs that cause massive economic damage, with some death and maiming thrown in for good measure. Of course, the IRA also has a history of usually giving warnings. If it was Al Qaeda, then I'm amazed there was so little loss of life. After 9/11 in New York, and 3/11 in Madrid, you sort of expect them to be a lot more bloody. Maybe this was a bullet dodged. I just don't know.

I definitely feel for the Brits. Last time I was in London, I went through Russell Square and Aldgate tube stations many times. Russell Square is a very deep station. Getting out of there on foot is quite the climb.

Sorry, I'm kind of disconnected. Not quite sure what to make of this.


UPDATE: Sent a sympathy note to the British Consul General here in Atlanta. Got a note back asking if I'd be willing to be interviewed by the AJC. Said "Sure!" Just got off the phone with the press guy. Let's see how it gets reported....


UPDATE: As of tonight I hear of 37 dead and 700 injured. Based on profile, this is now an Al Qaeda bombing. No bullet dodged.


UPDATE (7/8/2005): The death toll is now 50. I just cruise by Russell Beattie's notebook. When the Islamofascists exploded bombs in Madrid, he had this hysterical rant. He's been silent on the London bombings. Probably because the President isn't up for re-election. What a self-centered little man.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?